Viparspectra 600W LED Review
Beginner Grow Guide is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you click on a link on this site that takes you to Amazon, I will earn a small commission and help keep the lights on at no extra cost to you 🙂
Acting as one of the cornerstones of any home cannabis grow room, the right lighting equipment can make or break the yield, potency, and health of your plants. Deciding between the various bulb options, whether it be HID, fluorescent, or in this case LED, will all carry their own various pros and cons.
Specializing on the full spectrum of home cannabis equipment, ViparSpectra offers a full lineup of products for novice growers to advanced. Below we will be reviewing the ViparSpectra V600 LED lighting kit, a 600 W grow light specifically designed for the various stages of cannabis growth.
Who are ViparSpectra?
Established in 2011, ViparSpectra entered the cannabis market offering LED grow lights and quickly began to expand as a popular and reliable brand. Becoming a best seller on eBay and Amazon by 2017, they have expanded their product line to include accessories such as grow bags and tents alongside their impressive lineup of LED lighting systems.
The ViparSpectra V600 LED Lighting System
Weighing in at a little under 12 pounds, the V600 is a 600 watt UL Certified LED lighting system. Built with fire-resistant reflectors for increased light exposure, it is rated for safe use up to 100,000 hours of operation.
With a footprint of 15.3 inches of length, 12.8 inches of width, and 3 inches of height, it has a 3 foot by 3 foot coverage at a height of 32 inches. The recommended height for the various growth stages are as follows:
- Vegetative Stage – Height of 32 inches – PAR of 305 – Light Coverage of 3 feet by 3 feet
- Flowering Stage – Height of 24 inches – PAR of 488 – Light Coverage of 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet
- ‘Extreme’ Flowering Stage – Height of 22 inches – PAR of 592 – Light Coverage of 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet
Recommended Light Duration
- Vegetation Stage – 18 hours per day
- Flowering Stage – 12 hours per day
- Fruiting Stage – 12 hours per day
Obviously you will always need to take into consideration your specific strain when adjusting the height and light duration during your growth, so always be sure to monitor and adjust the lights as needed.
Features of the ViparSpectra V600
In addition to the above mentioned details, the V600 also features the ability to daisy chain multiple lights together. This results in multiple lights running off of the same power line, allowing for fewer power outlets to utilized while setting up your system.
The V600 also includes all of the necessary power cables for setup, so getting up and running is a hassle free process straight out of the box. With a power draw of about 2.17 amps at 120 volts and 1.18 amps at 220 volts, these lights will easily accommodate the average home outlet.
The V600 also includes two switches for alternate lighting during different stages of growth. The ‘Veg’ and ‘Bloom’ switches will provide separate lighting profiles when activated, with the option for both to be engaged depending on the specific stage of flowering.
Furthermore, the V600 is backed by ViparSpectras 3 year warranty with a 30-day money back guarantee if you are unsatisfied with the lights. This also includes professional guidance through their customer support, giving you easy access to advice if needed.
The Pros and Cons of Using LED Lighting Systems
As compared to the numerous lighting options available for home grow rooms, LED lights, specifically the V600, will have its own unique set of features that set it apart. Here are some of the key aspects:
- A measurement of the PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) light value (or in simplistic terms; photons) that are absorbed by the plant, the PPFD of the V600 is relatively high compared to a number of other lighting options. The shape and density of the light will be more efficient at directing exposure to the plant for healthier growth.
- Because LED lights will run significantly cooler than lighting systems such as HIDs (high-intensity discharge), this will allow for easier ventilation and less risk of ‘burn’ of your plants.
- The lifespan of the average LED lamp will significantly outweigh the alternatives, with the V600 specifically averaging around 100,000 of run hours.
- The power level of LED lights may fall short in comparison to some other lamps, meaning less intense light for growth. While this is a fine line between too much light and too little, you may find that LED lamps won’t have the same punch as other more power hungry bulbs.
- While blue light may be an upside for plant growth, the health risk of exposure for yourself may be a downside. Fairly harsh on your eyes, running high powered LED lamps such as the V600 often require some sort of eye protection during interaction.
- The upfront cost of LED lights is most likely the biggest downside when you are first building your grow room. While the cost efficiency will pan out over the long term, the sticker shock may be off putting during the initial setup.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
How is the V600 Packaged? – As with many products surrounding the growth of cannabis, ordering packages online is often a wary process. ViparSpectra luckily ships all of its products discretely, so there is no worry of your product causing inquiry or hassle.
What is the Optimal Grow Tent Size When Using the V600? – With the most effective coverage of one lamp coming in at about 3 feet by 3 feet, this lamp will accommodate your average grow tent with ease. Because of the ability to daisy chain multiple lights, you will easily be able to expose different plants or strains as you see fit.
Do I Need to Buy Any Extra Accessories? – The ViparSpectra is an all inclusive light, providing the cords and a hanging kit necessary.
How Much Does it Cost to Run Electricity to the V600? – While this will vary depending on the electrical costs in your specific area, the number of lights you are using for your plants, and how many hours per day you are using them, there are some estimates for LED lights as a whole. The average price for running an LED lamp in the US is about 13 cents per kilowatt-hour.
While this may seem abstract at its base, this results in anywhere between $50-$60 per lamp per month. Luckily LED lamps are significantly less power hungry than many other options, so this is relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of operation.
What is the Cooling on the V600 – As with any light, there will be some heat output with continuous use. As mentioned above, LED lamps luckily run relatively cooler than many other options, but the V600 does include dual fan and venting on the top of the enclosure. There will be slight noise production, but this is fairly standard with any all inclusive lighting system.
The ViparSpectra V600 is a well rounded and multifaceted lamp that many growers may find useful. With the option to implement it in small builds such as a grow tent or even daisy chain multiple lights together for a variety of plants, it has the flexibility to accommodate grow rooms big or small.
If you are looking for a lamp with low electrical costs, but still packing the power to produce large yields, the ViparSpectra V600 is well worth investigating when it comes time to put together your grow room.